Sunday, September 25, 2005

Hugs and Kisses Everyone

No, I aint dead. Just watching too much T.V. What did I do this weekend? Funny you should ask . . . .

Friday morning I decide to that Saturday I'm gonna do this. That is right 24.5 miles through the hills of centeral Pennsylvainia in one day. I figure this should be no big deal (afterall I did an Ironman).

So I fly on up there in the "shit-mobile" with Bubba. I manage to keep his ass up all night snoring. I don't know what his problem was cause I slept through it fine.

So I'm at 5:45 am register for the event grab a cup of coffee, some oatmeal, and eggs. They had a pretty good spread for that early in the morning. Lots of people were already eating and getting ready. Looking at the people around me, I figure this should be no sweat. How hard could 24.5 miles be? How out of shape could I be?

Bubba gets his ass out the tent. He has his Camelback, and I figure we're hiking I should bring some rain gear in my backpack along with the 3 power bars and 2 24oz gatoraides. (this was probably my first of many mistakes.)

Everyone gathers at 7am. We chill for a train to get out of the way, and some doods yells go. We're off. Everyone is jogging. I'm thinking this is easy. I can jog this all day. Well after 20 minutes of jogging on a road we make a quick right for 15 minutes walking straight up a ridge. No switch backs like the crap I'm used to in Colorado. Straight up is the only way to go. Half way through I realize I was almost hyperverntalating. Not good.

We get to the top. I'm sweating like a something else. We walk down the other side of the rigde. Splitting up the walking and running as we go up some steep parts and on some of the flats. It was a good time . . .

Eventually, I fall behind Bubba at around the 3 hour mark. I'm starting to feel a little tired so I decide to walk. I'm 3 power bars and 2 gatoraides into the day, and it is only 10am. Well, I try running and I sense my legs cramping. This ain't good. I walk some more. At this point people are jogging past me without much stress. I keep walking. Try to run again. Ouch. Not to mention I've blisters on my feet that feel like hot coles. At this point I figure, the plan that had my finishing in 5.5 hours is over. The option plan of survive and finish needs to be implemented. I vary my pace between walking and sluggishly walking for the next 4.5 hours.

It was good time. There was a really fun part where the mountain was so steep you had to hold onto a rope as you climbed. Good stuff. They had a good spread of food at the end and some good beer. Can't wait till next year. I may even train for it.

Bubba finished in a very good 5 hours 57 minutes. I finished around 7 hours and 15 minutes. It was long day and my legs still hurt.


Anonymous said...

To blog or not to blog...
To blog or not to blog, that was the question that I was faced with nearly a year ago as I battled with a serious case of jet lag.
Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my sypmtoms of depression related site. It isn't anything special but you may still find something of interest on sypmtoms of depression

Sonny M.

ravisraman said...

I am so in awe. can you send me a lock of your hair so I can sell it on ebay?